Wednesday, September 09, 2009


Insane? Maybe a little. In a good way. I mean that in a GOOD way.


Insanity | Kick-Off Week 1
Fit Test
Nutrition/Eating Log


Chances are, you've heard of P90X. That is, if you've ever found it hard to sleep, cracked on the TV, and spun the dial. Infomercials. Promises. Before and after photographs. Testimonials. Tony Horton pushing play and Carl talking about kicking plateau's in the teeth every 30 days, and coming out the 90th looking ripped, sculpted, in "the best shape of your life."

And it's all true folks. I've done seven full rounds of three months each. Basically, a bit under two solid years of P90X, with minor breaks here and there. Even tacked on some mountain biking to add the icing to the cake. Discovered that my first rounds were lacking impact due to not tracking my calories, so tweaked the final ingredient in the past two rounds to maximum effect.

Started round 1 at 230, came out of round 7 at 185 pounds, best shape of my life, and shadows of abs appearing where I knew they should be. But there's still work to be done. (That's life -- these aren't 90 or even 60 day programs. They're life programs. Foeva.)

Which brings me to today's insanity. Literally. Insanity (best described here) is a new Max Interval Training program that, instead of 90 days, promises results in a mere 60. Two months, six days a week, of -- what it seems to me -- looks a lot like doing the P90X Plyometrics routines with new moves (no weights) all but one day a week. (Movie/more about Insanity here.)

Bring it. I need the challenge! Today was Day 1, the Fit Test. Eight moves, one minute each, record the max number. It left me, 40 minutes later, a sweaty guy, breathing hard. No wheezing. Proud of my numbers and anxious to do BETTER. More reps than the skinny guy who finished the program, and less in some moves than the insanely good-form-in-every-move woman.

Clearly, P90X has brought me to a respectable level of fitness. Now it's time to blow the lid off.

My Fit Test Day 1 numbers:

Switch Kicks: 122
Power Jacks: 55
Power Knees: 75
Power Jumps: 51
Globe Jumps: 9 (Extra Rest here...)
Suicide Jumps: 16 (EXTRA REST here!)
Push-Up Jacks: 21
Low Plank Oblique: 60

Very proud of the last one. Getting into plank and then bringing your knee to your chest on each side = hard. At about 30 I wanted to quit. Then I said, just do it. Keep going till you collapse. Collapse = didn't happen. 60 reps happened instead.

Will keep up the short mini-Week 1 tomorrow, and count NEXT week as the pure, solid, Week 1. More of a taste this week. All good.

Watch out Shaun T. I'm coming for you. Is it any surprise that tomorrow will mark my 666th blog post here at mclainhome.blogspot.com? The universe is unfolding as it should...

Insanity & P90X: Take Action!
Jimmy Hays Nelson is a Beachbody Coach. He's done P90X (is doing Insanity!) and worked with Tony Horton, the inventor and host of the P90 workouts. Let Jimmy inspire you like he's inspired me! (2006 vs. 2009 photo P90X review proof.) Buy your copy of the P90X DVDs, then sign up (free!) to get Jimmy as your personal BB Coach. Bolster your food plan by tracking your calories with fitday.com (guys, 2,000 cals a day), and consider adding Shakeology to your daily food intake -- it's like going to the salad bar with five plates. If you're already a P90X user, take the next step and be a coach with Jimmy's help. Keep pushing play, bring it, A+ P90X review!

No comments: