Friday, June 05, 2009



P90X | Week 2
Legs and Back
Reps + Routine: 100%
Nutrition/Eating Log


Rocked my morning P90X workout like I rocked my evening last -- full attention, crazy-intense, eyes on the prize.

Headed to downtown Raleigh last night and saw The Decemberists do their full The Hazards of Love album (preview it) live, followed up by a pair of sets of their best past tunes (MP3 albums).


Got the audience on their feet, even cleared out the front orchestra area (still laugh seeing all the people passing their chairs overhead to stage left and right and stacking them nicely for the Memorial Hall staff) then rocked the house down full volume.

Can't get enough of this band -- literate indie folk rock that matches musical talent with a great beat and lyrics that will bring you to your knees. All good.

The opening band -- Blind Pilot from Portland -- was excellent as well. More subdued and modern, the small group was a perfect pairing with the Dec's. Picked up their album, 3 rounds and a sound, and am memorizing/listening to it as I type. An excellent work album for sure.

Legs and Back -- continues to rock my Friday mornings. Hit all the reps, extra sweaty, feeling powerful all around. Heck, look at the pic this morning -- who's neck is that? I'm starting to see some change in the mid-section. Honestly, was pretty dizzy for the last 3-4 moves, nothing stomach-related, but my head was spinning. Call me Johnny Intense like Nobody's Bizness, Mr. Horton.

All in all, I think my calorie-counting, fitday.com-enabled round 6 of P90X is paying huge dividends. Now to keep pushing play daily, sticking to the plan, and all that.

Super-excited to work ahead this weekend, cook up some clean eating recipes in my new cookbook, The Eat-Clean Diet for Men (at Amazon), given to me by the ever-helpful and encouraging Kim P. -- she wants me to look like Arnold w/o the steroids. I'd never accuse her of thinking SMALL. All good.

Another cross-post from Seth Godin this morning -- he brings up a great point. So you want to chat/hang with some super-pro people in your chosen vocation or field? Here's a tip to help you learn, thrive, and get ahead.

If you're in a meeting with smart people and they start discussing a term or concept you don't understand, what do you do?

Do you know what recombinant DNA is? Analytics? Chapter 7? Fair use? RSS? The Long Tail?

If smart people in your industry are talking about an issue you don't know cold, it's very important that you don't just sit there and nod your head sagely. I think there are two constructive paths. The first is to ask. "Wait, I was with you until a second ago. What does that mean?" You'll be amazed at how smart and engaging this makes you seem if you say it at the right time.

The second approach is to write it down and not go to bed that night until you know the topic better than the person who brought it up. How else, precisely, are you going to become one of the smart people?


No comments: