Wednesday, October 13, 2010


MotoTorch LED

Read all of my past Android app reviews at Appolicious and Yahoo! Tech -- click here.

Platform: Android

RATING:
5 out of 5

PRICE:
FREE or .99 (Donation Version)

TASTY:
Turns your phone’s LED flash into a flashlight, strobe light, and morse code transmitter. It’s party time!

BUMMER:
Our phones only have a single LED. Add two or three more and you’d have yourself a portable dance party.

COOL:
Am I the only one who wishes he knew morse code? Once again my DROID learned this for me. The next time my family or I is in mortal danger, this app could save a life. Or three.

REVIEW:
If you’re like me, you take your Android phone with you wherever you go. Beyond the dozens of uses I’ve found for my trusty companion, MotoTorch LED has had added one more: Flashlight.

And no, I’m not talking about those other flashlight apps that fire up your phone’s entire screen to be used a light in the darkness. That would be too easy.

MotoTorch employs the LED used as your device’s flash module. In my tests (which I don’t recommend to anyone) putting the flash LED near my face to test it, I was nearly blinded. Talk about BRIGHT, that little LED is intense. Much brighter than your screen.

Upon launching the app, you’ll be warned that no testing has been done to determine what effect the program may have on your phone. Will it burn out your LED over time? There’s no way to be sure. But I’m guessing if we use it every once in a while, we’ll be fine.

Just offering a LED-powered flashlight would be more than enough to give this app 5 stars. But add a strobe light feature and a morse code tool, and you’ve got yourself some serious fun and utility.

The next time you’re at a concert venue or a rave party, forget flicking your Bic or using your phone’s screen to get into the mix. Start a strobe and dance the night away!

Plus, boaters and military-types may find some serious usage for the morse code function. Input a word or sentence, then toggle “run continuously” to keep the message transmitting over time. Attach it high on your stranded car, listing boat, or any other location when you’re in trouble, and this app may very well save your life.

A must-have app for every DROID owner. Use it. Love it.

No comments: