Wednesday, July 16, 2008





Round 3 Week 2 P90X Plus
Wednesday: P90X Legs & Back + Massive Bike Ride
Thursday: P90X Yoga X & Bike Ride

Thursday + Yoga & Biking = Warm Glow...

Plus, it was a banner Wed. morning here in Chez McLain NC, with Legs and Back in the house, Mr. Horton making us do some super-yummy wall squats, tons of pull-ups, lots of lunges, and all the rest.

The news? This week I decided to take some advice from Mr. Wes -- "Not getting the reps you want? Eat something just before you workout, like 1/2 a granola bar or somethin'."

Right, right... So, the plan. Get up about 15 minutes earlier in the morning. Drink 16 oz of water (new study I recently read about said this increases the effectiveness of a workout by about 40%)...

...and, at the same time (putting aside the usual thoughts of "calorie deficit Mr. McLain, more workout, less calories = success!") noshing a small protein bar/approx. 175 calories.

Next, reading the paper or a book for 15 minutes to let the digestion kick in -- then rock the workout.

The results? A breakthrough today for sure. Got my mits on my pull-up bar, reverse grip, and knocked out 10 unassisted, no-chair, fully extended pull-ups in a row without a break and without killing myself.

I could hardly believe it -- I came down from number 10, then started laughing -- too cool! How did I do that? Previously I did 5-6 unassisted/no chair, paused with arms down, then did 3 more... another pause. Then 2-3 to finish. Today -- 10, pause, then 3 and 3.

Then, the next round, same move... heck, let's TRY it again. 10 again, just clear the ol' brain, knock 'em out, feel how things feel through the moves, had enough energy to make it happen. Then 3 and 3 -- wearing out, but not totally crashing. Sweet.

So perhaps I've found my new plateau breaker. The water and the bar just before, then hitting things hard.

Thanks Wes!

(Tony just turned 50 -- don't miss his interview! This guy is nuts and too cool for school!)

No comments: