Friday, July 11, 2008

The extended McLain clan gathers in PA @ July 4

Round 3 Week 1 P90X
Thursday: P90X Yoga X
Friday: P90X Legs & Back + Biking (Scale = 179!!)
Saturday: P90X+ Kenpo Plus

So there I was yesterday, winding up a whirlwind hour of mountain biking down the American Tobacco Trail, approx. 22 miles in all. Parked at the Olive Chapel trail head, got out the Specialized, rode all the way to the dead-end at the train tressle in Chatham County, turned around, got within .5 miles of the van, riding over a nice long wooden bridge just prior to the end.

I was riding exceptionally fast, no one around, likely close to or over 20 MPH, when it caught my eye.

A mixed orange snake, about three feet long, fat and taking up most of the path.

I barely had a second to react, pulling up my right foot from the pedal, veering left, and hoping Mr. Snake didn't get it into his head to nail me.

And then it happened -- he struck. I saw his head come up and felt...

SQUISH

Huh?

I skidded to a stop, snapped my head back, in time to see him dart to the edge of the bridge and off, down into the water, with...

...a large furry white/gray animal in its mouth.

A mouse? Rat?

Either way, that squishy feeling against the back of my leg was the mouse bouncing against me -- if he didn't have that prey in his mouth... Ouchies.

Talk about an adventure -- and all in .5 seconds or so. Note to self -- keep your head up more and scan ahead. Roger.

Yoga today, made it very, very close to the end before Will woke up. All good!

No comments: