Wednesday, April 02, 2008


Wed., April 2 Workouts

P90X Kenpo X & Bike

Don't get me wrong, I like Kenpo. It's cardio + karate -- sweaty punching and kicking. But... it's probably the second toughest workout in terms of FORM. Plyometrics can really mess up your legs/joints if you don't land properly and pay attention to what you're doing. Kenpo, same deal, only it's all about the joints. You're extending your arms and legs wayyy out and snapping them back. It only takes a few popped joints at maximum extension to ruin your recovery and a few days after.

That's one reason I shelved this routine about 1/2 way into the 12 weeks. I didn't think I was getting enough of a "burn" from the cardio side of the workout, and my legs and arms hurt a day after popping through this thing. That's not to say I wasn't focusing on form -- I was. Still, I felt like I was hurting myself.

So, back on the treadmill today. And, well, I forgot how much fun this workout is -- this is as close to Bruce Lee as I'll ever be. ;) And I dialed back the moves to keep the form close and supple. We'll see tomorrow.

Back on the bike over lunch today, a little colder today than last, down to 60ish, but the sun is shining bright. Down here in NC, it doesn't matter if it's 45 or 50 -- so long as the sun is coming down through that amazingly unique Carolina blue sky, it feels much, much warmer.

I really brought it to the ride over lunch yesterday -- pumping out the miles, keeping my upper body loose and switching arms on the handlebars to reduce the impact on my shoulders and back. Sweet, sweet workout of the legs for 40-50 minutes straight, perfect breathing, the old Tim/wheezing and coughing LONG LONG in the past.

Loving the recovery week! Pictures of the Day 0 to 90 transformation coming in a few days.

It'll be worth the wait. Trust me.

1 comment:

Wes said...

Hey Tim!
Just found your blog and am enjoying reading about your progress. I'm finishing up my round of P90X this week and plan to kick off a 6 month round of P90X/P90X+ starting next week. I've really enjoyed the ride so far.
Hey it sounds like we're nearly neighbors! I also live in Cary (Hwy 55 and Jenks) toward Apex - SMALL WORLD!
Stop by and say Hi some time!
The Wes Project
-Wes