Wednesday, September 22, 2010

FxCamera

Reviewer: Tim McLain
Platform: Android

RATING:
5 out of 5

PRICE:
FREE

TASTY:
Let’s you apply five super-cool effects to the photos you take with your DROID, then save and share them with your friends.

BUMMER:
Doesn’t offer additional effects – yet.

COOL:
Finally, a free camera app that’s quick, produces clear images, and enables auto-rotation before you save the final image. (Hey Google, get these features into the stock Camera app, please!)

REVIEW:
Take your mobile photography to the next level with FxCamera, a fun, free app that makes it a snap to take pictures and apply several special effects, including:

PolaNDroid “Vintage Film”
ToyCam
Fisheye
SymmetriCam
Warhol
Normal


I found the app to take noticeably clear, crisp images, with an added auto-rotate feature I desperately wish the stock photo app could handle as well. (I think I’ve lost count of the number of photos I took, uploaded to Facebook, and then had to rotate by hand into the proper rotation.)

My favorite part of the app is its fun interface. Simply swipe through large, colorful thumbnails showing each of the image effects. Click a small camera icon to fire up your phone’s camera, take a picture, and then wait 3-6 seconds for the image to process. Easily discard, save, or share the final product, and proceed with another image.

The entire process feels faster, cleaner, and crisper than my DROID’s stock camera app. The end result looks several times cooler than standard shots, and being able to rotate the image prior to saving it is critical.

To put it plainly, I’ve found my new stock photo-taking app for my DROID. A must-download!

No comments: