Monday, January 11, 2010


Week 6 | Insanity-P90X-P90X+-One on One-Hybrid Workouts
One on One with Tony Horton Diamond Deltoids
My 30-Week Beachbody Hybrid Calendar


Monday = resistance training. Usual suspect is Back and Biceps or Shoulders/Arms, P90X. Today, time to dust off Diamond Delts, as in Deltoids. A full upper-back workout, unlike anything else Mr. Tony Horton (in a photo from last week, above. He's 50+ now my friend. Beachbody workouts... work) has dished out to date. The perfect way to ease into Week Six, with legs and arms in need of a bit of rest.

I don't know who said or wrote these down first, but I think there's merit to this pair of mantras:

1. Do something every day that scares you.

2. Crave the effort more than the results. Value all achievements.

Over the weekend, for the first time in a *very* long time, I did something that combined both. When I was a kid back in Williamsport, PA (5-6?), the PA National Guard armory near our little house on Eldred Street would flood the huge field next to it every winter. The mini lake would fill up, and we'd all head over to ice skate.

I'm sure it was filled with ruts, thin in many places, and ice bubbles all over the place, but it stuck in my brain. As something that was pretty hard to do, but fun. Something that tired me out, made me cold, but was thrilling in its own way.

Over the years, I tried other winter activities. Sparingly. Probably two? ski tries, wobbly on rental skis, with limited outerwear, and ended up super-sweaty, crazy-sore, and took out my fair share of other skiiers when I couldn't stop.

Chock it up to being a bit overweight, inactive even during my teen years, and downright scared of injuring others.

Time passes. In 2007, I finally get my mind and body into gear, and start this lifelong fitness journey thanks to BeachBody, Power 90, P90X, all the rest.

Hence the second item above -- since my first 90 day workout was in the book, I've craved the effort, and let the results unfold over time, and valued all achievements. First weight loss, now muscle building.

It took time, but my arms went from flabby to firm. (Proof: having to take two links out of my good watch band.) My legs, the same. (From size 40 waist to 34 now. Heck, you should see the thigh definition during those awesome wall squats in Legs and Back and Plyo Legs. Nice.)

But this weekend, I went ice skating, for the first time since Williamsport (if memory serves.) And, to my amazement, I went from a wobbly 39-year-old, afraid to hurt myself or someone else, to a pretty darn OK skater in a matter of minutes.

With -- *smile* -- some nice leg muscles to sustain me. Figured out how to skate again, put on some speed, made corners, dodged kids, with ease. I had the power.

No soreness later. None. Ankles? No problem. I did something that scared me a bit, mixed it up, and, leaning down to grab my knees and thighs to coast to slow down, I felt strong muscles under my jeans. Muscles I'd built over the past three+ years, slowly, surely, and now they were mine to put into play.

A direct relationship between workouts and real life. Hard, physical work paying off with power and stamina in an all-new physical activity. Yes indeed. Few and far between examples thus far, but so darn satisfying.

This is one reason I've been bringing it, day in and day out, without even knowing it. Powerful. You can too. See below.

Out of Shape? Take Action!
Ready to get in shape, with my help? I can be your coach, help you via email/online, and get you started on the right foot. First, sign up here to get me as your free coach. Next, click SHOP here to get your copy of Power 90 (beginners) or P90X (intermediate and above). Bolster your food plan by tracking your calories with fitday.com (guys, 2,500 cals a day, gals 1,800), and consider adding Shakeology to your daily food intake -- it's like going to the salad bar with five plates. If you're already a P90X user, take the next step and be a coach with my help. Keep pushing play, bring it, A+ P90X review!



No comments: