Monday, January 04, 2010


Week 5 | Insanity-P90X-P90X+-One on One-Hybrid Workouts
P90X Shoulders & Arms + Ab Ripper
X-­1-­sane 30 Week Beachbody Hybrid Calendar


Happy 2010 my friends and visitors! What a year just passed. An entire 12 months focused on mindful eating, consistent exercise, and "Bringing It" to all aspects of life.

The result? Wearing 34/30 pants, medium shirts and jackets, giving others positive reinforcement day in and day out that THEY can do this as well, and seeing a whole new spectrum of family and friends, both real world and virtual, making the decision to give all of this a go.

It's worth repeating -- I started my health and fitness journey 3 (!) full years ago this week, 2007, with Power 90. It's the perfect start for anyone who's out of shape and not used to working out. And yes, Virginia, New Year's Resolutions can be kept and surpassed. Now, on to Year 4.

I still recall walking over my lunch break in Jan. '07, going past a neighbor who asked me, "New Year's Resolution?" the wife said. "Yes," I replied.

"Won't last," she replied. WRONG.



This is the same neighbor/couple who ordered popcorn from my son for a Cub Scout fundraiser then declined to buy it when we came to deliver it. "Too late," the husband said. "I don't want it." "We tried to deliver it 3 times, you were inside making noise and didn't answer the door, sir. Our apologies."

"Too late," he said with a straight face, then turned away. I was stunned beyond belief, one of those moments where a fellow human lets you and your family down so completely there aren't words to reply. Will and I will skip that toxic home for all things; life is too short to be so negative or put up with those who are!

BTW, Will was our Pack's top 3 seller this year, went more than 4 times over the goal. Do your best, forget the rest, in all things.


Then, here's how I kicked off 2008
-- blog post. Summary: "In all, I'd shed 23 pounds and a full 80 points of cholesterol (without expensive drugs) in 11 months with Power 90. I looked even better than I thought I would, and was loving how I looked in the mirror. (Despite my midsection still needing some serious work.)"

2008 kicked off many, many rounds of P90X, then adding P90X+ to the mix. You'll find more links to summary posts/other items down the right side of the blog.

As 2010 gets underway, that last sentence in the summary has me working extra hard -- my midsection. Still. Needing. Work. And as Tony's repost from the weekend points out, we all fall somewhere on a fitness spectrum.

Some of us do 1 round of P90X and go from a little flabby to six pack. Others, me, do 5+ rounds and still have a spare tire. Some of us drop 50 pounds and hit our goal of 160, 170 pounds? Others, like me, retain a small spare tire, and put on serious muscle, and quickly move from 180 pounds at my lightest to 190-195 now.

Is that bad? No? Is my mind hard-wired to pay attention only to weight? Yep. It's a tug of war of the mind for sure.

What the answer? Give up? Never. Push ahead? Yes. With eyes open and brain hardwired to try new things along the way.

In 2010, I'm:

  1. Cutting DAIRY (thanks Mark Briggs for this idea!)
  2. Upping my caloric intake from 2,000 daily to a minimum of 2,650, maxing at 3,200
  3. I'm adding protein shakes (low cals, high protein w/EAS from BJ's Warehouse) for my snacks and adding one at night before bed. That's right, a solid punch of protein before the long fast of a sleep.
  4. And, finally, adding in Ab routines post-workout at least twice per week.


All together, I'll see how these changes affect my remaining spare tire in 2010.

Onward! Don't miss my hybrid workout rundowns, and I'd love to hear how you're bringing it in 2010. Email me at timothymclain at yahoo.com anytime.


Out of Shape? Take Action!
Ready to get in shape, with my help? I can be your coach, help you via email/online, and get you started on the right foot. First, sign up here to get me as your free coach. Next, click SHOP here to get your copy of Power 90 (beginners) or P90X (intermediate and above). Bolster your food plan by tracking your calories with fitday.com (guys, 2,500 cals a day, gals 1,800), and consider adding Shakeology to your daily food intake -- it's like going to the salad bar with five plates. If you're already a P90X user, take the next step and be a coach with my help. Keep pushing play, bring it, A+ P90X review!



One last hope -- that it gets warm. Soon. So I can hit the trails and keep up my bike riding with good ol' barefoot runner, Beachbody user, and biker pal Wes.

No comments: