Monday, August 09, 2010

Drop and Give me Twenty (DMGT) (Android)

RATING:
5 out of 5

PRICE:
FREE

TASTY:
Push up pros will instantly love this app. Counts your push ups by tapping your nose on your DROID. No more excuses when it comes to depth, people!

BUMMER:
Doesn’t do the push ups for me.

COOL:
A free app that will challenge you over six weeks, varying the difficulty as you go, to keep you on-track with your endurance goals.

REVIEW:
A little over four years ago, I decided to stop spouting excuses about my weight and do something about it.

More than 50 pounds later, I’m proud to say I’ve achieved my goals, am in the best shape of my 39 years, and tracking tools like Drop and Give me Twenty (DMGT) (free) played a big role in turning my original 90 day test into a lifelong, six day a week commitment.

With a DROID at my disposal, I was overjoyed to find this app on a recent Marketplace search. Push ups are just part of my usual routine every other day (along with pull ups and the rest), so adding an auto tracking mechanism to the mix was intriguing.

I’ve been adding 100-120 extra push ups over the course of the day for several months now, enjoying the burn in sets of 20 while video renders on my Mac, big files transfer to and from my company’s servers via VPN, or at night between maps on my favorite first person shooter. (The guys in my squad think I’m nuts, grunting away into my mic. They’re rockin’ spare tires, I’m not. So there.)

After a few days of tracking my progress with this app, I’m seriously hooked. The interface is clear, easy to follow, and tracking my progress on a digital chart is addictive to say the least. I’m adding fresh reps to my routine daily, hitting approx. 120 total, and tracking my time.

Varying the difficulty pushes you to the max, and I love that I have to go all the way to the floor to tap the screen with my nose. Technically, that’s not the ideal form, so try using your chin as you look ahead a bit. Many times I have to pause an extra second to register the touch; all the better to build your endurance.

If you’re looking to take your game to the next level, consider trying P90X, my standard workout routine of choice. (Thanks Tony and Beachbody!)

Now, drop and give me twenty, DROID-style. Go, go, go!

No comments: