Saturday, May 13, 2006

GEICO Roxxors: My Story

I couldn't believe it. There I was, my 2003 Honda Odyssey backing out of my driveway on a rainy Friday night (5/5), when suddenly it happened -- CRASH went the window, DENT went the center of my van's liftgate, and SCRAPE went the bumper. I sighed -- then chuckled despite myself.

I'd done it -- surely as the rain was falling. I'd hit my mailbox with my van, and now, it was time to file my first-ever claim with GEICO. I headed into the house, took off my coat, grabbed a notebook, and placed the call to the toll-free claims line.

A few second later, Jack Ripley took my call. He was polite, cheerful, and laughed right along with me when I explained what I'd done. "We'll take care of it Mr. McLain," he said patiently. "Don't you worry."

After taking all of my information, he hesitated a second, then asked: "Mr. McLain, would it be OK to tell you about a new pilot program we're offering that could go a long way in helping you with this claim?"

"Fill me in," I said. The basics: Take my van to a nearby body shop that GEICO has chosen specifically for its excellent record of service. A GEICO representative would be on-site to take my information, then he would work on my behalf with the staff of the shop to ensure a great repair, at the lowest possible price, and on a quick turnaround. Plus, when I'd arrive, a car would be waiting for me, rented from Enterprise -- and the company would bill GEICO directly for the rental car. No fuss, no muss.

How could I say no? "Sounds like a no-brainer, let's do it!" I replied.

Jack seemed happy that I was willing to go along with the program, and set me up for an early appointment Monday morning (5/8) at Coats Auto Body and Paint, Inc., near my home outside Raleigh, NC. I carefully taped some clear plastic to the back end of the van, and parked it out of the rain for the weekend.

On Monday I made my way across town to Coats, and headed in the door. Leah Solano was there to greet me from the shop, and put me in touch with Peter Matsushige, GEICO's in-house adjustor. Peter took a few minutes to fill out some information, examined my Honda, and we headed back inside. A rep from Enterprise was waiting in the lobby, and quickly gave me the keys to my Ford Taurus rental.

I was in and out in under 15 minutes. I was overjoyed by every aspect of my experience thus far -- I felt sure that the van was being repaired at a top-notch facility, GEICO was on the ground to make sure everything was happening the right way, and Enterprise made the rental car drop off a breeze.

My four-year-old son, William, loved the rental and loved driving in it over the course of the week. He could sit in the back seat safe in his car seat and play with the window -- something he couldn't do in our van! Up and down went the window, and he loved being in control!

So he was a little sad when, four days later, we got the call to head back over to Coats and pick up the van. I arrived, and within 10 minutes paid my deductible, then went out to inspect the van. The bumper looks even better now than when I bought it, and the lift gate is shiny and new, fitting perfectly in its place -- again, even more firmly I believe than when I'd bought it.

Plus… I couldn't believe it… The Coats people had cleaned the interior from top to bottom, polished the tires, and even had the exterior washed. The van was gleaming -- and in every way BETTER off than when I'd dropped it off on Monday.

My first auto claim experience with GEICO was nothing but a positive one -- so I present it to you as a math formula: (GEICO's Pilot Program + Enterprise) + Coats Auto Body and Paint, Inc., Raleigh, NC = Excellent Service

Thank you for this pilot program, and thank you GEICO, Enterprise, and Coats for going the extra mile to make my week! I don't mind writing this up as a bit of an ad for these folks. They roxxor!

No comments: